Feedback and Complaints

Barwon Community Legal Service (BCLS) is committed to providing high quality services to those in need. We welcome your feedback and will use it as an opportunity to improve the services we provide.  Feedback can be a compliment, suggestion for improvement or a complaint.

All feedback will be taken seriously and followed up appropriately. Any information you provide will be treated confidentially and will not affect our commitment to providing quality services to you and/or your family.

How to make a complaint and provide feedback

You can submit your feedback or complaint by:


What can I make a complaint about?

You have a right to complain to BCLS regarding any incident or issue that occurs during the delivery of our services, or in connection with our services.

Your rights

We are committed to upholding your rights as a service user, including the right to:

  • Be free from any reprisal following a complaint, such as any change to, or cancellation of, services.
  • Be supported to report your complaint to an external body if you are not satisfied with the way we respond to a complaint.
  • Be involved in decisions related to resolving a complaint.
  • Have your privacy and confidentiality protected.
  • Remain anonymous if you choose.

Our complaints procedure, if you have provided us with your contact details

  • You will receive an acknowledgement of the complaint which will include:
    • Contact details for the person managing your complaint,
    • An outline of the process for managing your complaint, including timelines, what you can expect to happen and options if you are unhappy with the resolution proposed.
  • If appropriate, we will conduct an investigation into the circumstances surrounding your complaint and a resolution will be proposed within 30 days of receiving it. In a situation where our investigation process will take longer than 30 days, the person managing the complaint will contact you formally and let you know the reason for any delay and the expected timeline.
  • If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can make further complaint to:

Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner
Level 5, 555 Bourke Street 
Melbourne VIC 3000
DX 185 Melbourne
Phone: 1300 796 344

The Australian Association of Social Workers

Level 7, 14-20 Blackwood Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Phone: (03) 9320 1044

Victorian Ombudsman 
Level 2, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: 1800 806 314